- Pumpkin seeds are lots of fun to cook and you can really enjoy measuring them and the ingredients in the recipe.
- I get out my balance and have them count equal amounts in the sides and talk about mass.
- Practice awareness of volume by letting them measure equal amounts and put them in different containers (bags, bottles, bowls). It helps them see amount is not dependent on container.
- See how high a younger child can count. Who has more seeds?
- Have an estimation contest. How many seeds would they estimate is in the pumpkin? How close did they get?
- Multiplication and division or addition and subtraction. We have so many seeds, if I put ten piles of ten, how many do I have? We have 25 seeds and 5 people need some how many will everyone get? If I have 15 seeds and you take 3 how many do I have left? Let them use the seeds for the visual aid.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Julie's Pumpkin Seed Math
Here's some ways to do math with pumpkin seeds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let us know how you liked the recipe or what you did to make it better. Did you use it to enhance a lesson?